Since April is National Poetry Month, what better way to celebrate both important markers than with a poetry prompt that uses Earth Day as its foundation? I urge you to create a poem and then share it with others. Use it as the basis for conversations about the importance of protecting our home, planet Earth.
Earth Day Poetry Prompt
- Fold a piece of paper to create three columns or draw them onto your page with a pen or pencil. Label the top of each column: WATER, FUEL, ELECTRICITY
- Set a timer for 6 minutes and spend two minutes brainstorming for each column. Write down words, emotions, phrases, memories, etc., that come to mind when you think of these words and how our use of them impacts the planet.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes and write a draft of a poem. Dedicate a stanza for each brainstorming column.
- After 15 minutes, review what you have and begin to revise with an eye toward incorporating more sensory language, imagery, and metaphor or comparisons.
- Share you poem with others to start an Earth Day conversation, or share it in the comments here or in the Creativity Unlimited Facebook group!
Happy Earth Day and happy writing!